Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Adelyn Calliope

She has finally arrived.  My daughter Adelyn Calliope arrived on 05 July 2011.  She came a little quicker than expected.  It was a great surprise.  We arrived at the hospital monday night.  Totally misssed the fireworks which wasn't too bad considering it was raining off and on all afternoon.  I of course was quite excited, my wife on the other hand was quite nervous considering that she had all day to think about what was going to happen.  After settling into the room, our journey began.  It seemed like quite a long journey, i felt like my patients sometimes.  Sleeping for what seemed like hours and only minutes gone by.  Plus its also kinda hard to sleep in a broken recliner.  But all in all, it was an experience.  The morning brought on the real excitement.  As the contractions became stronger and stronger, i was urged by my wife to head home and take care of the Moby prior to anything happening.  I actually felt bad for him considering he had been in the crate all night long and here i was only letting him out to let him eat and poop.  Of course that really didn't last long before my phone rang saying i should hurry up.  Rush back to the hospital i did.  No stopping for food and no shower.  At the hospital, i got there in time to assist my wife through some of the contractions prior to the epidural. After the epidural was placed, the wonderful world of no feeling in your lower half of your body kinda took over all the work.  I will have to say, my wife is a better man than me.  I would rather take a foley catheter or a ng tube then any sort of needle in the back of my spine.  I would totally have to be sedated in order to do such a thing.  So now time was once again on my side.  I was sent out to get food since i hadn't had the chance to get any and the crapateria at the hospital is less than optimal.  Not too long after getting back and feeling partially human and not starved to death. I was back to providing comfort care.  I had just gotten comfortable when the doctor came in and decided to check my wife to see how she is progressing.  Surprisingly, he's news shocked us.  He said "are you ready to have a baby?"  Her head was right there.  A few minutes later all the nurses came in, two pushes and out she came. The most beautiful baby girl i had ever seen.  I am partial of course but why wouldn't i be.  She was 7lbs, 8oz.  20 inches long with blond hair and blue eyes.  Words can't describe the feeling of overwhelming happiness.  Only the people with children know this feeling.  We have a wonderful beautiful girl....  The best part is the smell.  That sweet baby smell, not the poopy diaper smell.

However,...
Things changed slightly with some of the blood work we got back along with her throwing up a little bit bought her a ticket to the NICU.  So here i am.  Like a roller coaster ride of emotions all rolled up in one.  From the looks of it, she's the healthiest sick baby in the NICU.  The bad news is that it looks like she'll be spending the next 7 days here getting antibiotics and fluids.      It will be the the place i love to be but hate to be at.   Pics to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment