Saturday, March 5, 2011

Insane

I truely must be insane.  The last few days have been absolutely unbelievable even to me.  This week i was actually lucky enough to have a 2 days off in a row.  Something that rarely happens.  Working mon, tues, and wed night didn't have any major problems or issues.  I have even been keeping up with my morning runs but wed afternoon when i awoke at my usual time of 4pm i had no idea what the next few days would be like.  So this is the timeline and the occurances of what transpired.  Like i usual do, i made dinner upon awakening then getting ready and heading to work for the next 12.5 hours until 0700.  Nothing unusual happened at work, normal busy as usual.  I was even looking forward to the next two nights off to spend with my wife, something that has usually only happened on the weekends lately.  I was able to see my wife for a whopping 10 minutes upon arriving home like usual.  From there, i attempted to switch over like i normally do. I went for a nice 2 mile run and then geared up and rode my bike for 20 miles.  I forgot how much i love riding until i was riding.  The headwind i was encountering wasn't making the best time in the world, but at least i planned my route to have a killer tailwind for the long straight 7 mile run back to the house. (My favorite route).  I would say my speed was slightly below average something like 17mph due to the strong wind. I was almost crawling at like 15-16 mph into the wind for what seemed like the most part.  However, hitting the tail wind along with my energy hit me at a solid 25 mph with spurts up toe 28.  All in all a great hour and fifthteen minute ride.   From there instead of passing out from sheer exhaustion, i rested my eyes for maybe 15 minutes long enough to get some energy but quick enough not to fall asleep.  From there is was running errands around town.  After getting home and chilling, i got the phone call.  They needed help at work tonight.  Yeah, not so much is what i was thinking.  10 minutes later it was double bonus.  Tempting but no.  Then a hour later it was the patient was getting a vad (Ventricular Assist Device essentially a machine that does the work of the heart only outside of the body).  (Huge SIGH) Knowing the staff on that night, i had to go in now.  Plus i'm a huge adenaline junky.  Anything that makes me think and work gets me excited.  I prefer the sicker patients on every machine know to man 12 drips of fluid running and unstable.  The only problem is i hadn't slept yet, anticipating actually be able to sleep in the same bed with my wife that night.  Something most people take for granted and that usally occurs once or twice during the week since i work nights.  At this point i have approximately 1 hour to sleep.  I will admit, i tried.  However, my dog was apparently a dalmation in a previous life.  Some firetrucks were responding to an alarm in the distance and the sirens drifted into our house.  This sparked the interest in moby whom responded with his roo in the same tone, pitch, and with every once of breath in his lungs.  I will say it was the longest roo i have every heard.  So instead of sleeping i was laughing.  So much for sleeping.  Adrenalin is a wonderful thing because now i was headed back to work the second time in the same wake period.  The good news is the patient didn't need a vad after all.  There was multiple drips involved and was still very critical.  The night was quite long and there was times when i was definitely feeling the lack of sleep.  However, i managed to tweat the patient to the point that most of the drips were off and they were stable. Possibly even leaving the icu the next day.  Driving home wasn't too bad, but then it hit me.  It was friday.  It didn't end there, breakfast with my wife and then i had a meeting  to go to regarding our house to make sure everything was in order considering the items that been missed or have been wrong.  Everything in the meeting is clarified and i'm heading home now.  Finally 1100 finds me in bed for a few hours rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment